Thursday, October 6, 2011

Egg Retrieval is scheduled!

Finally, I am so excited to be done with the first part of this IVF cycle. The egg retrieval will be on Saturday morning. Tonight at exactly 11 p.m. I am to take two injections of Ovidrel to prepare my body for the retrieval.

Today's doctor visit went really well! My estrogen is at 1177, progesterone at 1.03, and below are the sizes of my follicles:

Left side: 19, 19, 18, 17, 14, 14, 13, 11
Right side: 17, 16, 15

Saturday morning I will start to take Doxycycline (2x per day), Estrace (3x per day) and progesterone (2 shots per day). I believe the retrieval will be around 9:15 in the morning. The entire process will take a couple hours and then I will be released to come home and rest, followed by an acupuncture appointment in the early evening to help reduce some of the pain.

After the eggs have been retrieved, they will be immediately fertilized through a method called ICSI by an embryologist. Over the next few days as the embryos grow we will get daily updates on how they are growing and expanding. Since we don't have as many eggs this time, we will likely do a day 2 or day 3 transfer on Monday or Tuesday.

I'll let you all know how things turn out on Saturday. Until then, please say a few prayers for us!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! Those are some nice sized follicles!!! So glad things are going so well. Will be thinking of you on Saturday morning and sending very positive thoughts your way.

    Bring on those big Progesterone shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy, I'm dreading those shots, the needle is HUGE! Today she said to me "you know you have to do 2 a day, right", to that I said "yeah but I was hoping that was a mistake". I guess statistics are showing better results with 2 shots a day, ouch, my poor butt!

    ReplyDelete