Monday, September 12, 2011

Today's the big day!

I got to start my birth control today, I'm so excited to get this started!

I got a phone call with my total cost for my meds, I was slightly wrong with my estimate of $3,000. They said it is going to total $6,460, YIKES! This is because they've switched my protocol from my last IVFs and are putting me on the highest dosage of Follistim to hopefully increase the quantity of eggs my body will produce. I'm having a little sticker shock right now. I have a call into the doctor office to see if there is another pharmacy that may be a little cheaper. We are hoping to get the meds delivered this Thursday or Friday before I go on my trip to Florida.

So here is my tentative schedule for the next few weeks.


For the next 10 days I'll be taking:
Birth Control - used to control the timing of the cycle and to temporarily shut down your ovaries

Metformin - to improve my quality and quantity of eggs

Levothryoxine - to get my thyroid levels where they need to be to sustain a pregnancy

DHEA - to improve my quality and quantity of eggs

On Friday, Sept. 23rd:
I'll have my baseline visit at the fertility clinic which includes:
   • Ultrasound - to be sure there are no eggs growing and to
      check that my lining is thin
   • Bloodwork - to check my estrogen levels
   • Mock Embryo Transfer - to be sure there are no surprises
      the big day of the real transfer
   • Payment - because they want there money :)
   • Start taking Follistim and Luveris - to stimulate follicles
      and grow eggs!

From that point on I will have an ultrasound and bloodwork done every few days to monitor how my body is reacting to the medications and to be sure I am not being overstimulated.

Looking forward to going on a vacation before the really important part begins. Thank you all for your support!

2 comments: